You know you've won, in life, when people pay you to do what you would pay them to let you do


Saturday, August 21, 2010

Read the Story to Get to "The Prize"

That's just me as a kid on someone else's horse. I'll tell you the prize for the Name-my-puppy Contest but first you have to read the story that goes with the picture (even though I've alluded to it on another post ; see "All the Horses I've Loved").

I was 3 when I saw my first horse. My life changed that day and my own horse was all I wanted for the next 13 years.

You see, my mom had a serious injury on a horse, before she met my dad, that almost ended in her having one of her legs amputated. She was in bed a whole year (there when my dad decided to come courting). Plus my folks lived in town and they always said there was nowhere to put  a horse.

I was stubborn (not a bit now though, ha, ha) and every time I was asked what I wanted for Christmas or my birthday (for 13 years) I always said only one thing: a horse.  I was told it was out of the question (but it wasn't, not to me) I started hoarding money to buy my own horse starting with $5 in pennies. It was a long process but the day before my 16th birthday I conned my folks into going out to this place to look at a horse. They were stunned when I pulled the money out of my pocket to buy it and told them I had enough to pay for room and board for quite a while, and I had made arrangements for a place out of town for it to stay. I even asked the folks I bought the horse from to haul it for me. That day I made my 13 year old dream came true.

Up till that day all I could do was dream and draw. Pictures were my only way of having a horse. In all those years I developed a little drawing skill and I eventually studied Visual Art at a University for 4 years. (The old something-good-from-something-bad thing and. . .  hold on to your horses! I'm getting to like cooking too.)

So, after all that, to get to the prize: whoever wins the contest can email me a photo of your horse or dog or even a cow (or bull, Kit) and I'll draw it and send you the original (unframed) via the mail.

Following are some drawings that I have done just to give you an idea of what it might look like. (These were water damaged in storage so you have to overlook that)








 ( AAAH! I can't get this one the right way around)

Now that I look at these, it's kind of obvious, I've always been a little fascinated with bulls. Did you see how the clown in the barrel facing the bull looks way too scared? That's just me, projecting my own fear onto his face. And now that I look at it again, the other clown has kind of a scary looking face.

"Interesting, very interesting . . . " the old cowgirl thinks to herself.



17 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Oh ! wow what talent! I have to relly think hard for a name for that pup now! Beautiful work!

ain't for city gals said...

Oh my..show us more pics of the put!!I want one of your sketches..then I want you to paint the outside of my vintage trailer that I am turning into my "store on wheels" ...going to call it "ain't for city gals"...going to go all over the country..sleep when I get tired..yes..I have dreams too...never too old or too young to dream!

Shelby said...

wow, those are fabulous. you're really good

Linda said...

Great talent! I'm thinking, I'm thinking......I'll be getting back to you so I can win;)

Ames said...

You are one talented woman! Oh how I'd love to have my "Baby and Tinker" (my fur children) drawn in pencil and hanging on my wall. Hummm how about Beauregard, Beau for short.

Beauregard is of French origin and means beautiful gaze. I can imagine he will be loyal and submissive, always seeking your approval and affection with his eyes.

Well, that's my stab at a name for your new pup. Can't wait to see the how his character evolves as he ages. ~ Ames

Anonymous said...

Wonderful story - and you've got some serious artistic skill!

LindaG said...

Great work!
And what a fantastic story on how you got your first horse! :)

~ Janis said...

Its one of the best things about having new animal babies born--naming them!

Mavis ( Scottish name, means "bringer of joy" )
Moxie
Grace
Jill
Dixie
Kate

Rachel said...

Awesome!! You really are a great artist, thats amazing!!

The Wife said...

Holy crap woman, you have mad skills! I'm like Fern, gonna have to really get my lil noggin to thinkin' now!

Mikey said...

Those are amazing!! You've got some serious talent there! I'm off to name some pups...

Sherry Sikstrom said...

How about Dewydd(Dewy for short) I looked it up it is a welsh form of David. I got looking for David names thinking about how a good cattle dog even though they are small can be a protector and defeat the giant so to speak. Anyhow ,I still amd awed by your talent and hope the name for your pup comes out to be a good one

Shirley said...

Really nice art work! When I was a kid we could never afford a horse, so I spent a lot of time dreaming and drawing too. You were a very determined young lady, bet you still are! The trail ride had some interesting moments, and beautiful scenery- no bears!

Cheyenne said...

Your art work is amazing, REALLY AMAZING. You should be selling it. Now I have to put my thinking cap on...

WOWSA...I'm still stunned!

Anonymous said...

OMG you do excellent work!!!

aurora said...

WOW, sooo much talent!! The emotion and detail in your drawings are simply stunning!!

gtyyup said...

Fantastic art work girl!! Boy, would I ever love a portrait of Colt...OK...gotta get us some more pics of the cute lil' pup!!!