You know you've won, in life, when people pay you to do what you would pay them to let you do


Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Dad


Funny when I woke up this morning, a whole year older, that the first thing I would think of was my dad. Although I never remember him ever saying: "I love you," I knew. It was the little things like filling my glass with milk when it was empty, without me having to ask (such an important thing for a little kid).

He was a  janitor at the high school when I was a kid  and I worked for him everyday after school (from the time I was 11 until my second year at University) sweeping floors for $10 a month, every penny of which I saved till the day before my 16th birthday when I bought my own first horse.

He was 48 when I was born and worked every day of his life from the time he was 13 till he was 79. He was just 5'8 and 145 lbs but with muscles like small grapefruits on his arms. I laugh when I see this picture because that is how I always remember him, with his sleeves rolled up.

Dad was quiet, humble man with a dry sense of humor, an immigrant from Wales. Little kids and animals loved him. I came out of the cinema one time with my daughters (he always waited outside for me) and found him talking to a young mom. Neither Dad or I had ever met her before. She looking me right in the eye and said: You're so lucky to have him for a dad." I smiled and said, "I know."

Many days, though he passed on long ago, I feel him close, like today. Nos da Tad. Cariad Mawr.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a sweet post!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

A fitting thing for you to think of and remeber your dad on this day , one that was very special to him I am sure! He sounds like a wonderful man.
Happy Birthday , my new friend. I hope today and every day brings you joy and love

LindaG said...



I remember fishing with my dad when I think of him. :)

The Wife said...

Sounds like a fine man. Happy Birthday my friend.

Rachel said...

That was a sweet post!

I love how fathers and daughters are always close. I'm a daddy's girl 100%!!

aurora said...

Great start to your special day! Saying the actual words "I love you" is hard for some, actions speak louder anyways. I've noticed over the years that little kids and animals are attracted to good hearted people, like your dad :) Happy Memories. Happy Birthday.

Cheyenne said...

Such a special tribute to your dad. It is important to remember those that have gone before us and pass the stories on to our families.

Anonymous said...

Any man that small children and animals like is a good person in my book. Nice that you have such good memories, and a very happy birthday to you!

Shirley said...

A day late, but I hope you had a happy birthday, and are on the mend.Love the story about your dad, I think you inherited his work ethic.

Crystal said...

Aww that was sweet, makes me sad I never had a dad though.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, touching tribute.

gtyyup said...

Happy Birthday!!

That is a very endearing post about your Dad. He sounded like a wonderful person in every way.

Anonymous said...

So sweet!