You know you've won, in life, when people pay you to do what you would pay them to let you do


Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Day of Foofurah

This winter, during calving season, I worked for a purebred breeder. He's been in the business for 36 years. He and his wife were soo good to me (they pay me and feed me and even pay me for when they are feeding me) and his cows are just plain sweet. I had one shake her head at me once but it was only because I was a little slow at filling her water dish.

But what a lot of work and foofurah purebreds are. I'm more used to the ranch and 400 black cows with not an eartag between them and another 400 hereford crosses the same that at least look a little different. You paired them out not by looking at tags but by looking to see who was the mother and who was her calf.

I went over to help these folks today, vaccinate and tag their lease cows. I swear we counted, matched up, and recounted those cows today a dozen times. It was a 12 1/2 hour day. All I want to do now is have a nice hot bath and curl up behind my cowboy in my nice soft bed. Goodnight Ladies.

1 comment:

LindaG said...

My first chance to read blogs since we got here.
Sounds like a heck of a day! Hope you slept well.

Thanks for your good wishes, too. Our trailer shook a little, but it wasn't too bad. I was real happy about that.